I don’t know about you, but I really don’t want to get to December 26th and feel drained or regretful. I want to avoid the thought that too often accompanies me in the post-Christmas days… “another Advent that was FULL of Christmas cheer, but lacking in Christmas fulfillment”. I WANT BOTH THIS YEAR!!
CHRISTMAS FULFILLMENT CHALLENGE: Christmas Quiet
Christmas Quiet is an intentional practice of listening for the Spirit’s words and nudges to us. I suggest practicing it two ways:
- During the first week of Advent, or near the beginning of December, set aside 30 minutes to sit down with paper and pen and do some listening prayer. Ask the Holy Spirit the following questions, then listen for answers:
- What are three ways I can partner with you during this Christmas season to bless someone/others?
- What shall I do less of during the Christmas season to open space to be connected to you?
- What could I do more of to experience your presence regularly this Christmas Season?
Then take out your calendar and plan out time to respond to what you have heard.
- During every day of Advent, sit in silent listening for 5 minutes per day. If you are doing some sort of Christmas devotional or reading, then consider this to be in addition to that. The value of quiet listening is creating space for the Holy Spirit to nudge, prompt, remind, or encourage you. The silent listening is important to counteract the busyness and loudness of the Christmas cheer that is filling so much of your time and thoughts the rest of the day. I don’t like to give too many instructions for this because, depending on your own need, the Holy Spirit may have a lot to say or instruct or encourage you to do or…the silence may be exactly what you need! But the silent listening is a radical practice for most of us, especially at this time of year!
Silence and quiet listening are hardly new ideas, but we often forget to utilize the ancient tools of our faith during the holiest seasons. Don’t let Christmas Cheer rob you this year. Practice Christmas Quiet and let the Spirit lead you to a fulfilling Christmas season.
P.S. Don’t forget that Restore My Soul is a perfect Christmas gift for anyone seeking to integrate their faith into their understanding of Self-Care.